The Frye Festival, Atlantic Canada’s largest literary happening and Canada’s only bilingual international literary festival, is looking for a candidate for the position of Assistant Director.
This is a full-time position (one year contract).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the successful candidate will coordinate the School-Youth Program as well as oversee the Volunteer Program. The Assistant Director will also provide support to the Director in all tasks related
to the production of the Frye Festival and its special events, as well as the daily operation of the Festival office.
Principal responsibilities include:
• Coordinating and managing all components of the Festival’s School-Youth Program:
o Frye Academy (young readers’ prize)
o Provincial writing contest
o Writers in the Schools program (school visits)
o Young Writers
• Liaising with teachers, cultural agents and school district staff to share information about the Frye Festival and recruit participants for its programs.
• Organizing year-round events and playing an integral role on the production team (event set-up, communication, etc.).
• Assessing and outlining volunteer requirements.
• Preparing and coordinating a transportation schedule for school visits and recruiting volunteers.
• Updating the Frye Festival website, Facebook page, Twitter account and YouTube account regularly.
• Updating and maintaining the Frye Festival database.
• Writing and sending out a monthly newsletter to subscribers.
• Assisting the Executive Director (ED) with funding applications and reports to corporate / government sponsors.
• Assisting the ED with various tasks to ensure efficient operation of the office.
The successful candidate must:
• Be fluently bilingual (written and spoken French and English).
• Have strong communications skills (written and spoken).
• Have two years’ work experience, preferably in organizing events and logistics.
• Be able to multi-task and able to work under tight deadlines.
• Be motivated, independent and able to work closely with others.
The successful candidate will preferably:
• Have experience in working with websites, electronic newsletters, social media, etc.
• Have experience working with schools.
• Have experience in fundraising.
If you are interested in this challenge, please send your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before noon on May 10, 2012.